University main building
The conference will be held in the University Main Building, which is located in the city center, approximately 10-15 minutes by foot from Uppsala Train Station. The street address is Biskopsgatan 3, 753 10 Uppsala. Conference sessions will be held in lecture halls on floor 1 & 2. The final program will include details on which lecture halls have been assigned to each specific session.
To access the internet, please use Eduroam as the primary choice. The University Main Building also provides wi-fi access through the network “UU-Guest”. Access to the network is provided on a 24-hour basis and you need to have a mobile phone to be able to receive the login information. If choosing “UU-Guest”, please follow the instructions that will appear in your web browser. The log-in process will take a few minutes to complete
An accessible entrance is located on the corner of S:t Olofsgatan / Övre Slottsgatan. The building is accessible for wheelchair users with lifts to all floors and wheelchair spaces in lecture halls.
The University Main Building was built in the 1880s. At that time, it housed all the University’s activities. Since then, the University has grown and today it has spread throughout the city. The University Main Building is still used for lectures, conferences, concerts and university ceremonies.
The building was constructed with the help of funding allocated by the Swedish Parliament, and King Oscar II laid the cornerstone in the pouring rain on a spring day in 1879. The site was formerly occupied by a large academic riding building, which was torn down for the new edifice. On 17 May 1887 the building was inaugurated during a festive ceremony. The architect was Herman Teodor Holmgren.
He created a grand and stately structure in a sort of Romanesque Renaissance style. Despite much modernization and functional changes, the building is still largely the same as it was in the 1880s. Its magnificent and spacious foyer with its light cupolas and the Grand Auditorium, which seats about 1800, is a good example of the best of 19th-century Swedish architecture. Above the entrance to the Aula we read the often-quoted words of the 18th-century philosopher Thomas Thorild: “To think freely is great, but to think rightly is greater.”
There are many other grand rooms in the building. On the ground floor, the University Board convenes in a room on whose walls are hung portraits of all the Swedish kings from Gustavus Wasa to Gustavus VI Adolphus. On the upper floor the Chancellor’s Room is found, where the University’s Vice-Chancellor receives prominent guests. Similarly to a series of other connecting rooms, this room, is decorated with numerous portraits of kings, cultural figures, and, above all, professors who have been notorious at the University throughout the centuries. In one of the rooms there is a famous group picture representing the Faculty of Theology in 1911, with Nathan Söderblom as dean. The artist was Emerik Stenberg. Uppsala University’s art collection is one of the largest in the country that is owned by the Swedish state. The unique coin collection at Uppsala University Coin Cabinet is also housed in the University Main Building.
The erection of the building constituted a great step forward in terms of teaching. The building provided a number of classrooms, many of which are still in use. Previously, teaching had been carried out in the Gustavianum, in two cold, unheated rooms.
The University Main Building is also the venue for many academic ceremonies. Each year between 15 and 25 new full professors are formally inaugurated in the Grand Auditorium. Another atmospheric ceremony steeped in tradition is the conferring of degrees, when the year’s recipients of doctoral degrees receive their doctor’s hat or wreath of laurels – a tradition harking back to the year 1600.
Information retrieved from https://www.uu.se/en/about-uu/history/buildings/university-main-building/.